Inside Sales: Time to Bring Outside Sales Inside – A Guide to Virtual Selling
Inside Sales – No Longer a Junior Partner
Inside Sales Effectiveness Focus in 2011
Inside Sales Priorities
1. Sales and Marketing Alignment
- As a first step, we need to align inside sales and marketing messaging around product usage and value creation; features and benefits selling is dead and most marketing teams have work to do to translate features and benefits (“product-speak”) into something the sales team can actually use to engage prospects.
- Aligning sales and marketing also means agreeing on the definition of what makes a sales-ready-lead. Innovative companies like HubSpot have established service level agreements between marketing and sales and both groups are tightly aligned in their objectives.
2. Enhancing Lead Generation
I spoke to David Baga, VP Sales at hot SFO-based RocketLawyer last week about his challenges in running a rapidly growing inside sales team. (RocketLawyer is a fast growing startup designed to make legal services easy and affordable for individuals and SMBs)
Inbound Lead Generation Requires a Technology Foundation
• Inbound Marketing Automation platform (Marketo)
• CRM systems (Salesforce.com)
• Cloud-based call center technology with predictive dialers, ACD (auto-dialers), IVR (Interactive voice response) (Five 9’s)
Putting this stuff together and delivering the right content at the right time is hard to do; we’ve been at it 9 months now and are just beginning to realize the benefits of our efforts”
3. Revising Sales Team Structure.
• Lead Development – work inbound leads, responsible for lead qualification, pass lead on.
• Small Business Representatives – quota carrying, responsible for a territory
• Account Executives – responsible for major accounts; travel from time-time to meet customers
4. Revising Sales Process
BANT – Discovery and Qualification, the Achilles heel of selling.
Using a whiteboard to Create Buyer Vision
5. Facilitating a Buying Process.
Shift in Power in the Buy-Sell Equation.
The relationship with buyer has shifted from managing the sales process to facilitating a buying process…prospects buy when they are ready to buy.“We spend a lot of time and effort with our middle funnel process generating relevant information that maps to buying needs/process once the visitor has converted into a lead by completing a form.
With the buyer in control, lead nurturing is essential to manage and establish a trusted relationship and stay top of mind until the buyer is ready and to measure online behavior and interaction. Leads are scored based on activity and routed to sales at the right time.” said Baga.
2. Inbound Marketing underpinned by a tightly integrated technology fabric is no longer an option – it’s essential to Inside Sales Success.
3. Lead nurturing is the way to stay top of mind and build a relationship with prospective customers until they are ready to buy.
4. Skilled whiteboarding can restore the communication imbalance in a virtual environment.
5. You don’t have to sweat closing deals if you have done your job in discovery and qualification.
Learning Optimized, Behavior Changed, Performance Advanced
My deliverables to you are: (I) Improved Learning Outcomes and Increased Competence; a. Retention to fluency (95% vs. 28%), b. Behavior change through accountable reinforcement, c. Improved application, d. Advanced individual performance and e. Advanced organization performance.
You will ensure that every person reaches true mastery* in the shortest amount of time. Mastery* produces people who have the adaptive reasoning skills required to effectively apply knowledge to new situations.
*Mastery is required where appropriate information application is critical to achieve a desired outcome; For example, Education: K-12, Higher, Corporate, Government; Medical; Medical Continuing Medical Education – Performance Improvement; Safety; Sales Performance; Aviation; Military; Individual Certifications and Individual Continuing Education.
McDonald Sales and Marketing, LLC, Specialties:
Appropriate Application; Behavior Change; eLearning; Employee Selection and Employee Development; Human Capital Management; Individual Performance Improvement; Learning Performance Improvement; Learning Retention and Reinforcement Improvement; Organization Performance Improvement; Workforce Development and Productivity; Verbal Skills Simulation and Reinforcement; Sales Performance Improvement; Web-Based (SaaS/Cloud) Solutions
To Discuss how these Solutions will add value for you, your organization and/or your clients, Affinity/Resale Opportunities, and/or Collaborative Efforts, Please Contact: