Sales Training: The Other Rejection-How Salespeople Struggle to Cope
My colleague, Frank Belzer, just posted a terrific, thought-provoking article on Rejection. Please read that first for the rest of my article to have the proper context.
Five years ago, Passive Rejection wouldn’t have been an article topic because back then, it was rare to not get your repeated calls returned. By contrast, today it’s unusual when a prospect returns one of your first 5 voicemail messages!
Let’s take a deeper look into Passive Rejection. Frank mentioned a former colleague who handled Active Rejection just fine but didn’t handle Passive Rejection in an acceptable way. If Passive Rejection is akin to being ignored, then what is it about being ignored that causes the problem?
After reading Frank’s article, I gave this some thought and identified the following 10 reactions to Passive Rejection:
- Fear – What if I never reach this person?
- Anger – How rude!
- Abandonment – They don’t want me in their life…
- Hurt – How could they do this to me?
- No Respect – If they respected me, they would call me.
- Distrust – They haven’t returned my calls, so I don’t trust them.
- Approval – They don’t love me!
- Self-Importance – I don’t have time for this!
- Self-Image – I’m not very happy with myself right now.
- Revenge – They haven’t returned my calls, so I won’t call them. Hmmph.
Photo Credit – Fever Pitch on PhotoDune
To Discuss how these Solutions will add value for you, your organization and/or your clients, Affinity/Resale Opportunities, and/or Collaborative Efforts, Please Contact:
Tom McDonald, email@example.com; 608-788-5144; Skype: tsmw5752